Mexican Style Bean and Rice Casserole
Here, the classic beans and rice combination gets a kick with ancho chili powder and cumin. The No-Cheese Sauce adds a creamy texture, and the health benefits are bumped up with zucchini, black beans, and corn.
From Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook
By Del Sroufe
Makes one (8 x 8-inch)
Ready In: 50 minutes
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet and ground
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
2 medium zucchinis, cut into ½-inch dice
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups cooked black beans, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
3 ears corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups)
One recipe No-Cheese Sauce Recipe **
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the onion and bell pepper in a large saucepan and sauté over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the onion starts to brown.
3. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
4. Add the garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
5. Add the cumin and chili powder and cook for another 30 seconds.
6. Remove from the heat.
7. Add the cooked rice, zucchini, black beans, corn, and No-Cheese Sauce, and mix well.
8. Spoon the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
9. Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve garnished with the cilantro.
** No-Cheese Sauce Recipe
PREP-TIME: 5 MINUTES / READY IN: 5 MINUTES
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS
This low-fat vegan cheese sauce recipe takes only takes about 5 minutes to put together. It may seem as though this recipe will not work in a blender, but with a little patience it does. If your onions are strong, blanch them in boiling water for a few minutes, or sauté them over medium heat for about 5 minutes before adding them to the blender.
1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons cashews, toasted, optional
1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
1 cup nutritional yeast
Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order given and puree until smooth and creamy, adding up to ½ cup of water if necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.