1 ½ cups raw walnuts (divided 1 cup (93 g) + ½ cup (47 g) // plus more for topping)
1 cup raw almonds
2 ½ cups dates (pitted // if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain // 2 ½ cups approx. equals 15 ounces)
3/4 cup cacao powder
2 Tbsp cacao nibs (plus more for topping // optional)
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Place 1 cup walnuts and 1 cup almonds in a food processor and process until finely ground.
2. Add the cacao powder and sea salt and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the dates to the food processor and process until small bits remain. Remove and set aside.
4. Add nut and cocoa mixture back into food processor and while processing, drop spoonfuls of the date pieces into the food processor.
5. Process until a dough consistency is achieved, adding more dates if the mixture does not hold together when squeezed in your hand. You may not use all the dates.
6. Add the brownie mixture to a small parchment lined 8x8 dish and before pressing, add remaining ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts and 2 Tbsp. cacao nibs and toss to combine and evenly distribute. Then press down with hands until it is flat and firm. (Laying down a piece of plastic wrap prevents sticking.)
7. Place in freezer or fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes before cutting into 12 even squares (If adding ganache, slice afterwards!).
GANACHE FROSTING (optional)
¼ cup soy or almond milk
1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate (chopped)
2 Tbsp vegan butter (melted)
¼ - ½ cup powdered sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
1. Add soy or almond milk to a mixing bowl and microwave for 45 seconds or until very warm.
2. Immediately add chocolate to warm milk and loosely cover to melt. (You can set the bowl in hot water, if the chocolate doesn't completely melt.)
3. Add salt and stir gently to incorporate, then add melted butter and use a whisk to mix. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.